Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI)
Multiple Mini Interviews, or MMI’s as they are commonly called, is an interview approach that is used regularly for entry for medicine, veterinary and dentistry schools, as well as STI interviews for Doctors. These interviews can be daunting because the interview involves 6-10 interview stations and you spend between 5-8 minutes at each station. The topics of the interview stations vary each year and across different universities. Some common stations focus on the following:
- Motivation. Your motivation and insight into medicine, veterinary or dentistry career. Your reason for choosing the University.
- Problem solving & decision making. Your ability to demonstrate critical analytical and reasoning skills. Ability to think critically and rationally.
- Curiosity. Your ability to show a genuine interest in the field of practice as well as demonstrating good general knowledge and an interest in current affairs.
- Ethics. Your knowledge of key ethical concepts and your ability to apply these to an ethical issue today.
- Communications. You will be judged on your communication skills across all the MMI stations but this one in particularly focuses on your ability to communicate with sensitivity and empathy
- Teamwork. Your ability to work collaboratively in a team.
- Data Analysis. Your ability to analyse complex data and use data to make informed decisions.
MMI interview coaching
The right preparation can make a huge difference to your success as it is essential to build rapport quickly and to communicate clearly and succinctly. We recommend two 90-minute mock interview coaching sessions one or two weeks’ apart, the first focused on preparation and then second on practising a range of MMI interview questions. The better you prepare and the more you practise the less intimidating these interviews will be. Try to think positively. There is an advantage to the MMI process: it is a much more reliable assessment of you as a candidate because you are interacting with multiple interviewers over the course of MMI, so there is less chance of personal bias affecting the outcome. Additionally, if one station does not go as well as you want you get a fresh start with the next and can make up your marks.
If you have an in MMI coming up or would like to know more about coaching for an MMI then please contact us.
STI Successful Training Offer 2018
It went so much better than the first time!. I felt really confident this time and was more aware of what they were looking for on each station/question so I tried to address them with that in mind. I spoke louder and tried to be more enthusiastic this time. I didn’t freeze in any of the stations which was really good! What made a big difference was having practiced with you and all the tips you gave me. My score will definitely be better this time but because is the second round I don’t know how many places they have left. It’s a centralized recruitment process for Scotland, England and Wales and in the first round they were something like 90 places, this time, I have no idea, probably just a few left. ……I was successful in my interview and got a training number!! I’ll start in August. Thanks again for all your help. It was key for succeeding.
Click here to read over 200 reviews added directly to the website by clients.
Click the Book Free Consultation button below to schedule in an appointment or Contact Interview Skills Clinic to discuss how we can help you succeed at your next interview.
You can choose to have just one mock interview coaching session at £150 or £195. Click here for details on coaching fees.